Elephants and Waterfall 1 day Trek
Join us for a full day filled with swimming at waterfalls, and becoming friends with elephants. Take in some of Northern Thailand’s most beautiful landscapes on a hike with a local Karen guide. Visit a Karen, Hmong, or Lahu village. Bamboo raft down the Mae Wang River that winds through the beautiful mountains of Northern Thailand. Bathe and play with a baby elephant in the river, feed all the elephants in the herd and walk or ride an elephant through the jungle bareback. Say goodbye to the elephants before heading back to the city. Or enjoy refreshments and snacks at our riverside café. Learn how choosing an ethical tour helps elephants HERE
Please book in advance. This is a private tour not a large group, availability is limited.
Chiang Mai, City at Three Kings Monument or Chai Lai Orchid
- Coming from Chiang Mai: depart at ~8:00am, return at ~6-6:30pm
- Staying at Chai Lai: start at ~7:00am, finish at ~4:00pm
This trip is well organized but relaxed. In order to give you the best experience and maximum time doing your prefered activities, there's not a set schedule. We are flexible to accommodate a different order should you want to spend more time in an activity or change your schedule. The day may feel less structured than what you're used to but rest assured, you'll get a chance to experience everything! Here is generally what to expect with this trip.
- Your guide will meet you at Chai Lai Orchid; leave anything you don't want to carry at Chai Lai Orchid
- Drive in a the back of a truck 5-15 mins to the hiking start point
- We offer private custom tours, you can hike anywhere from 1 to 5 hours depending on what you ask for. If you don't specify what you want, hikes are usually 3 hours and moderate in difficulty
- Play in the waterfall, explore and relax
- During this time, your guide will cook you a meal using local ingredients and a fire
- After lunch, you'll typically wander through a Hill Tribe village where your guide can talk through the local life
- A truck will take you to the bamboo rafting starting point
- We suggest leaving your camera and anything you don't want to get wet in the truck, which will meet you at Chai Lai Orchid
- Depending on time of year, the ride can have rapids or just be relaxing. Its about 1 hour and always lots of fun!
- You'll have your camera and clothes at Chai Lai so don't be afraid to get a little wet when you bathe and play with our baby elephant in the river
- Feed all the elephants in the herd and ride an elephant through the jungle bareback
- We usually offer drinks at a our cafe just around the corner but bring some money if you think you'll want anything else
- The elephants on the west side of the bridge (closer to the road) are on break to rest and eat you can spend as much time watching them, petting them and feeding them as you want.
- Learning to ride the elephants is optional we only 1 person on each (4 ton) elephant so it is comfortable for the elephant. If you choose not to ride you can still spend the same amount of time walking with them, feeding them and bathing them in the river.
- Comfortable athletic clothing
- Sandals with good profile / trekking shoes
- Change of clean clothes
- Cash for buying drinks or handcrafts
- Professional elephant caretakers
- Guides to translate and take photos
- Beer and additional beverages and snacks
- Any optional gratuity for guides and mahouts
$113 | 4000 BAHT - 1 person per elephant